Saturday, August 4, 2007

It's worse than I thought

I have many clients in their 40s, 50s and 60s and it took me quite a while to realize that most of them can't see very well. I would be demonstrating how to use their new Universal Remote Control (a model that has relatively large and easy to read buttons) and after 10 or 15 minutes, I would realize that they couldn't see what they needed to see. I now do my best to make sure they can see before we start .

But, I had no idea so many older people had so much trouble seeing.

"Such tools are of little help in the shower. Deborah Yager, 53, a science teacher in Castro Valley, Calif., counts the number of letters to figure out whether she is reaching for the shampoo or conditioner. Jill Lamar, 55, an acupuncturist in Charlottesville, Va., goes by color. Brian Lewis, 64, a retired doctor in San Anselmo, Calif., takes a thick black Sharpie and writes a big “S” or “C” on each."

New York Times Article

I am most surprised that people wouldn't carry glasses (or small flashlight (have you seen those microscropic keychain LED flashlights?) with them. I have been wearing glasses most of my life - it's not so bad. Is it vanity?

No comments: